(**) Follow Safety Precautions when you cook this, please.
- 1 T olive oil (Optional - see meat cooking variances)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 t ground black pepper
- 1/2 t ground brown pepper (aka cumin)
- 1/2 t ground cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh Habenero pepper, WELL minced (** Follow safety precautions)
- 1 Can (6 oz) chopped Jalapeno peppers, drained
- 6 fresh Serrano peppers, minced (** Follow safety precautions)
- 3 T chili powder
- pinch oregano flakes
- 2 - 3 T black caraway seeds
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 sweet pepper (green or red), chopped
- 1 Can black beans
- 1 Can brown (pinto) beans
- 2 Cans red (kidney) beans
- 1 Can white (garbanzo) beans
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds meat or meat substitute - chopped stew beef, ground beef, ground turkey, or tofu - see meat notes)
- 28 oz Can chopped tomatoes
- Cook the meat.
- Cook in a microwave safe bowl or dutch oven. See Meat Cooking Variances.
- If using ground beef, cook meat, drain well, and set meat aside (per note below), leaving 1/8 C grease in bottom of bowl.
- If using stew beef or ground turkey, pour olive oil into bottom of bowl.
- Chop, mince, and / or drain peppers and garlic.
- Add garlic and 6 quantity of hot pepper, chili powder, oregano, black caraway to bowl.
- Microwave spice mixture 3 - 5 minutes, covered, on 10.
- Wash hands VERY carefully (** 5 minutes of scrubbing with a brush for safety).
- Remove bowl from microwave, uncover (** point bowl away from face - fumes are intense).
- Add chopped onion, sweet pepper on top of spices, cover, microwave 5 minutes on 10.
- Remove bowl from microwave, uncover (** again, point bowl away from face).
- Thoroughly mix onion, sweet pepper, and spices.
- Place meat on top, cook if stew beef or turkey (per note below).
- Add tomatoes, mix well, cover, microwave 5 minutes on 10, then 15 minutes on 3.
- Remove bowl from microwave, uncover, stir mixture thoroughly.
- Drain and rinse beans thoroughly, draining in colander, until water drains clean from colander.
- Add beans to bowl, mix thoroughly, microwave 5 minutes on 10, 30 minutes on 3.
- Remove bowl from microwave, uncover, stir, let cool until comfortable in mouth (** chemical burns from hot peppers is enough).
- Serve with sourdough bread, sour cream, and cold beverages (** creamy or thick like Sobe Liz Blizz, Thai Tea, tomato juice, or unfiltered apple juice), or beer, and lots of that.
Meat Cooking Variances:
- Stew Beef (preferred) - cook after cooking spices and vegetables:
Chop meat into 1/4 or so inch cubes, drain blood / juice off
Place meat on top of cooked onion / pepper as above, microwave 3 - 6 minutes til brown with slight pink showing.
- Chopped beef (lean or normal) - cook before anything else:
Place beef into plastic colander, place colander in clean glass bowl, cover and microwave for 4 - 8 minutes on 10, until brown and still soft, with grease draining into glass bowl.
Remove bowl from microwave, uncover, chop cooked beef using wooden spatula or spoon into 1/4 inch chunks, let finish draining into bowl.
Remove colander from bowl, finish draining colander on newspaper.
Pour off and discard all but 1/8 Cup or so of grease from bowl.
Substitute bowl with 1/8 C of grease, for bowl with olive oil (above), and cook hot peppers / spices in this.
- Chopped turkey (prefer normal - lean is too dry) - cook after cooking spices and vegetables:
Place turkey on top of cooked onion / pepper as above, cover, cook until brown and dry (5 minutes or so).
Remove bowl, uncover, chop turkey with wooden spatula / spoon into 1/4 inch chunks.
- Tofu - Wash and rinse tofu, drain, and chop into 1/4" cubes. Saute with 1T oil, 1 t oregano or marjoram, 1 t chili powder, and / or 1 T beef bouillion, until chunks are brown, dry, and leathery. Add with tomatoes.