No self respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.Maury Chaykin, My Cousin Vinnie
I take pride in my grits, too, but in California, instant grits may be the only choice. You can still cook them southern style - slow and easy.
This is one large serving (says 2 servings on the package, but that's California).
- 1 1/2 C water.
- 5 heaping T (1/3 C) grits.
- Salt and pepper.
- Put water in microwaveable pan.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add grits.
- Cook in microwave oven - 6 minutes @ 100%, 14 minutes @ 30%.
- Remove from oven, stir, scoop onto plate (southern style, you eat with a fork).
- Add black eye gravy or red eye gravy (or butter if you're in a hurry).
Grits are healthy - neither red eye gravy (aka grease and coffee) - nor butter (aka grease) is. But boy, is it good.